2 questions about game rules

Moderator: CM_Admin

deadz

2 questions about game rules

Beitrag von deadz » Sonntag 14. Juni 2009, 16:40

1) how does the dodge ability work? i have dodge rank 2 and that means i am supposed to get +6 to my basic parry of 7 when dodging resulting in 13.
but when i switch to dodge in combat it says the value is still 7. is this a bug or i dont understand somthing? btw my EEC is 0.
2) some attacks like roundhouse says they allow no parry. but if i use roundhouse but my opponent has more INI and attack first then my character uses parry and after that roundhouse not works. can i somehow choose to NOT use parry at all so i can use roundhouse after opponents attack? when i attack some weak opponents i dont fear their attacks that much i just need to kill them faster so why i am forced to parry...

CM_Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von CM_Admin » Montag 15. Juni 2009, 10:26

1) If you want to dodge instead of parrying with your weapon, shield, or parrying weapon then look at your Parry Base Value and

- subtract the Encumbrance (EC) of your hero (because of the difficulty of jumping in heavy armor)
- subtract the number of the opponents multiplied by 2 (because they are surrounding your hero and constrain movement)
+ add a bonus of +3|+6|+9 if you have specialized your hero on Dodge I|Dodge II|Dodge III.

2) So are the combat rules. There is no way to ignore your parry (or dodge) and to attack with a roundhouse. The only solution is to get in first place for attack in a combat round. Therefore you need the highest INI.

At the beginning of a combat INI is calculated with the base INI-value plus 1d6 for each fighter. You can use "Orientate" during a fight to improve your actual INI. Move the mouse over the arrow and the tooltipp will show you the resulting INI so you can check the improvement against the opponent's values.

With the special ability "Combat Reflexes" you improve your INI +4 permanently.

deadz

Beitrag von deadz » Dienstag 16. Juni 2009, 17:50

another question about mortal blow. the manual says it does +2 wounds and -2 to opponents wound threshhold. whats a threshold?
and in some fight i remember like i inflicted 7 wounds total to opponent he had his at-pa dropped to 0 but he was still standing...so there is no limit to amount of wounds you can suffer?

CM_Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von CM_Admin » Dienstag 16. Juni 2009, 19:05

The wound threshold is the fighter's Constitution / 2. Because NPC's do not have a CN value like heroes, this value is calculated by their maximum vitality points divided by 5.

Successful standard attack: Every time a fighter gets damage points higher than his wound threshold value he receives a wound. Even more, if a fighter gets damage points with a single hit higher than his wound threshold value * 2, he gets 2 wounds, or in the case the damage is more than the threshold value * 3, he gets 3 wounds.

If such attack was a successful Lunge or Mortal Blow maneuver, he opponent's wound threshold is reduced by -2 so the probability is higher that he will be wounded.

A successful Lunge maneuver adds one wound.
A successful Mortal Blow maneuver adds two wounds.

Example: A NSC starts with VP 30. So she has a wound threshold of 30 / 5 = 6.

If you hit this opponent with a standard attack and 7 damage points, she gets 1 wound.
If you hit this opponent with a Lunge maneuver and 5 damage points, she gets 2 wounds.
If you hit this opponent with a Mortal Blow maneuver and 5 damage points, she gets 3 wounds.

If you hit this opponent with a standard attack and 13 (>2*6) damage points, she gets 2 wounds.
If you hit this opponent with a Lunge maneuver and 9 (>2*(6-2))damage points, she gets 3 wounds.
If you hit this opponent with a Mortal Blow maneuver and 9 damage points, she gets 4 wounds.

---

You have to fight him down until his vitaly points are < 5 (human) or zero (monster). There may be circumstances that his wounds will cured. So hurry and give him the rest.
Zuletzt geändert von CM_Admin am Montag 22. Juni 2009, 09:16, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

deadz

Beitrag von deadz » Mittwoch 17. Juni 2009, 21:02

what is the use of social standing in those adventures? does it really affect something or it is just for fun?
btw a guy with SO 12 is probably son of baron so i doubt he will hire himself as a mercenary to some lowly Neisbecks :lol:

CM_Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von CM_Admin » Mittwoch 17. Juni 2009, 23:07

Social Standing is used in a passive way in some adventures. The value of your hero may be checked without notice by the "program" (To tell you the truth: The author of an adventure sets the controls. :twisted: ) and this may cause different paths the story follows. (No joke.)

Do you think a higher value is always better? - Who knows? Everthing is possible. :P

But in principle, you're right with your example by stressing it to the extreme: Would a hero with extraordinary SO values really take orders from some ordinary people? Probably not. - But this case leads us to the question, why such adventurer is still searching for quests? Shouldn't he be in the age to settle down already? - Yeah, hopefully not.

You - as a gamer - has paid for the adventure with real money. So we will never prevent you(!) from playing a certain adventure with any of your heroes.
Zuletzt geändert von CM_Admin am Mittwoch 17. Juni 2009, 23:23, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

deadz

Beitrag von deadz » Mittwoch 17. Juni 2009, 23:16

CM_Admin hat geschrieben:. The value of your hero may be checked without notice by the "program"
wow...is it happen often?

CM_Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von CM_Admin » Mittwoch 17. Juni 2009, 23:58

deadz hat geschrieben:
CM_Admin hat geschrieben:. The value of your hero may be checked without notice by the "program"
wow...is it happen often?
Yeah, this is done quite a lot of times but always in a fair manner in regard of adventure points. Never will be the case, that you will only be able to gain the maximum AP with certain stats or a certain archetype. But tests on attributes or talents is something else as long as your hero has a chance to be successfull.

Example:
A) Is your hero well performing in cooking? Hm, let's test him. If he succeeds the test, he may get 10 adventure points.

B) Is the cooking talent of your hero higher than 5?
The author describes: He will bake a delicious cake for the princess.
If not, the hero will fail and has to find some other way to impress the princess.
Both cases will lead to 10 APs at the end because otherwise the reward would be predetermined. That would not be okay at all. - Every hero has a chance. Not always the same. But simply a chance. You - the player - are always in control of getting Adventure Points.

Same comes with archetypes. You are playing a goblin? Yeah, hard times. :wink: But there may be different sentences or paths for a goblin in an adventure. You don't believe? Try out.

---

There is a lot of rumors about "hidden" adventure points at "Conspiracy at Ferdok". That's the truth. But they are spread in an absolutely logical way.

deadz

Beitrag von deadz » Sonntag 21. Juni 2009, 20:24

CM_Admin hat geschrieben: : If a fighter gets damage points with a single hit higher than his wound threshold value * 2 (or 3, 4) he receives 2 (or 3, 4) wounds at once, and respectively 4 (or 6, 8 ) wounds with Mortal Blow.
sorry i didnt understand...in game there is written that mortal blow does two additional wounds but in your post it looks like mortal blow doubles the total amount of wounds...which is right? :?:

deadz

Beitrag von deadz » Sonntag 21. Juni 2009, 23:19

CM_Admin hat geschrieben:The doubling is right.

The rules must be read as: The mortal blow does two additional wounds ... additionally to the damage on vitaly points. So every time a fighter regularly would get ONE wound, she gets TWO if the attacker used a mortal blow.
okay but in this case number of wounds from mortal blow should always be even. 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 but not 3 or 5 right? and i remember doing 5 wounds with mortal blow if i not mistaken...
and anyway the description text of this ability in game should be re-written somehow - atm it is kinda wrong.

CM_Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von CM_Admin » Montag 22. Juni 2009, 09:19

One of our support members didn't get it right himself. Sorry for that.

Above, see viewtopic.php?p=7338#7338, I corrected the rule description and added some examples.

Stefan

deadz

Beitrag von deadz » Montag 22. Juni 2009, 13:34

btw what if you do a mortal blow to a player character with 16 constitution and do not score enough damage to do a normal wound? will mortal blow add 2 additional wounds or not?

CM_Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von CM_Admin » Montag 22. Juni 2009, 13:40

A mortal blow will only add two wounds if you hit him with more than his wound treshold - 2 which is in your example 16 / 2 - 2 = 6. With a damage of <= 6 no wounds will be added. With > 6 the opponent gets three wounds.

deadz

Beitrag von deadz » Dienstag 23. Juni 2009, 00:23

i remember from PnP rules that parrying with a shield against chain weapons wasnt possible at all..but in TDE it seems to working ok...is this right? i thought a chain weapon can always swing over the shield and hit into the head of shieldbearer without much problems...

CM_Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von CM_Admin » Dienstag 23. Juni 2009, 09:04

You can parry chain weapons with a shield. The rules don't tell anything else. (I'm currently not sure if this was different in former versions. But these don't matter anyway.)

GTStar

Beitrag von GTStar » Dienstag 23. Juni 2009, 12:32

Isn't a shield the only way to parry them anyway?

deadz

Beitrag von deadz » Dienstag 23. Juni 2009, 12:36

Mit einer Ochsenherde ist es möglich, um die
Kante eines Schildes herumzuschlagen und
so dessen Schutz zu ignorieren (PA-WV des
Schildes wird nicht angerechnet)

this is the quote fro basicregelwerk 2008. page 158 translate it to me please because i dont know german.

CM_Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von CM_Admin » Dienstag 23. Juni 2009, 13:00

You can read the rules on our website http://www.chromatrix.com/html/weapons.html

Extract: It is somewhat hard to parry attacks with chain weapons; then again, it is also quite hard to parry attack made with chain weapons, since they may be used to strike past shields, making them a lot harder to parry. Chain Weapons ignore the PA-Bonus given by shields. They can not be parried by Daggers and Fencing Weapons, all other weapons get a PA -2 malus.

The German text you have found is represented as text in blue color above. Generalized this is not only for the "Ochsenherde" (= Oxherd) but for all chain weapons.

deadz

Beitrag von deadz » Dienstag 23. Juni 2009, 14:08

so you can still parry but only with your basic parry value...making parrying almost useless anyway

CM_Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von CM_Admin » Dienstag 23. Juni 2009, 14:54

Not at all. You forget the abilities: Off-Hand Fighting (PA +1), Shield Fighting (PA +3), and Shield Fighting (PA +5). These bonuses will still be added if you use a shield against a chain weapon. And don't forget the PA -2 if you don't use a shield. With Daggers and Fencing Weapons you must use a shield to be able to parry chain weapons at all.

deadz

Beitrag von deadz » Dienstag 23. Juni 2009, 15:33

CM_Admin hat geschrieben:Not at all. You forget the abilities: Off-Hand Fighting (PA +1), Shield Fighting (PA +3), and Shield Fighting (PA +5). .
so that means that you dont get bonus from shield itself but do get bonus from shield fighting abilities? very strange...

deadz

Beitrag von deadz » Dienstag 23. Juni 2009, 20:20

CM_Admin hat geschrieben:Social Standing is used in a passive way in some adventures. The value of your hero may be checked without notice by the "program" (To tell you the truth: The author of an adventure sets the controls. :twisted: ) and this may cause different paths the story follows. (No joke.)
well...i played the secret of cyclopes with a mercenary with social standing 2 and he had problems because nobles on a board the ship didnt like common guy among them and "nobles are dead-set against you."

now i made another character a garetian warrior with social standing 12. started same module...and again i see same text "noble sir is certainly not referring to you" and "nobles are dead-set against you.".
SO 12 is probably not less noble than all those nobles on that ship unless they are all kings and emperors. but i dont see difference in storyline....

CM_Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von CM_Admin » Dienstag 23. Juni 2009, 23:33

You are right in this case and truly in some other situations. It depends certainly on the author, one is willing to support SO, different archetypes, and so on, others don't. Sometimes there are unexpected surprises and sometimes you expect differences but there are no.

I don't want to excuse this case you mentioned, but let me say - just for background information - that this adventure was written originally in 1984. At that time, the DSA/TDE rules didn't know any SO value.

deadz

Beitrag von deadz » Montag 6. Juli 2009, 00:21

How do you use parrying weapon? there doesnt seem to be a way to take a dagger for example in off-hand...

CM_Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von CM_Admin » Montag 6. Juli 2009, 11:01

Currently the only parrying weapons are Buckler, Metal Buckler, and Armored Arm. There may be more parrying weapons sometime in the future. But we cannot tell you any certain date. (Too much work on other fronts.)
Zuletzt geändert von CM_Admin am Donnerstag 9. Juli 2009, 08:06, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

deadz

Beitrag von deadz » Montag 6. Juli 2009, 14:56

CM_Admin hat geschrieben:(Too much work on other fronts.)
like what? :shock:

CM_Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von CM_Admin » Montag 6. Juli 2009, 16:50

Technical improvements of the database, additional features like chests for your stuff you don't need temporarily, new adventures, and much more...

deadz

Beitrag von deadz » Donnerstag 9. Juli 2009, 00:44

by the way...disarms are only possible without a shield. is an armoured arm considered a shield too,preventing you from using a disarm?

CM_Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von CM_Admin » Donnerstag 9. Juli 2009, 08:10

Yes, that's the case. Here is a copy of the rules from the description on our website: http://www.chromatrix.com/html/combat.html

Disarm
Qualification: IN 12, AG 12, ST 12, Master Parry, Parrying Weapons I
Cost: 400 AP
Benefit: Maneuver Disarm: AT +8 (+6 for Quarterstaff, +4 for Two-Lilies), opponent rolls ST Test at +8, drops weapon when ST Test failed
Not possible together with shield or parrying weapon.
If opponent fights with Two-Handed Blunt Weapons or Two-Handed Swords then Master Disarm is needed.
Usable with: Daggers(!), Fencing Weapons(!), Hand-and-a-Half Sword, Infantry Weapons, Sabers, Spears, Staves, Swords, Two-Handed Swords
If Daggers or Fencing Weapons are used then this maneuver is only possible if opponent fights with Daggers, Fencing Weapons, or Sabers.
Combinable with: Feint

deadz

Beitrag von deadz » Donnerstag 9. Juli 2009, 17:53

bad thing in game mechanics is that player fighting against 2-3 enemies can choose which enemy to parry against. for example i am fighting 2 bandits one with dagger and one with ogreslap. of course i would want to parry against ogreslap because dagger probably wont harm me seriosly. but bandit with dagger has more initiative so he strikes first i automatically parry him and then bandit with ogreslap beats me...

Antworten