TDA - Mobile Special Abilities

Moderatoren: TheGrey, CM_Admin

TDA - Mobile Special Abilities

Beitragvon Kyo » Donnerstag 16. November 2006, 21:25

I am wondering what does the special ability "Off-Hand Weapon" do?

Does the Shield Fighting ability allow you to fight with a shield (actually use it to strike) or is it like armour use and only lessen the penalties for the use of one?

For that matter is there any such place I can find a detailed description of how to use my talent prowesses like cooking, lore, treat wounds, paint, and tailor?

A lot of these options are very confusing and "as far as I have been able to find" completely undocumented.

I am playing "The Caliphs Daughter", I also have played, "Secret of the Cyclops", my phone is the Motorola Razr V3.

Thank you for your time.
Kyo

Re: TDA - Mobile Special Abilities

Beitragvon CM_Admin » Freitag 17. November 2006, 09:35

Kyo hat geschrieben:I am wondering what does the special ability "Off-Hand Weapon" do?

This ability represents a hero's basic skill in using shields; it allows you to better coordinate left-hand and right-hand movements in combat in a meaningful way. This ability lets your hero add 1 additional point to her Parry Value when using a shield or a parrying weapon.

Because you'll also find this explanation on our website here: http://www.chromatrix.com/html/combat.h ... almanoever I'm not sure if you also confuse this with fighting bare-handed? So I'll give you some hints about fighting bare-handed:

To be honest: Don't do this! This is only for emergency. If you have at least one weapon, use it and don't fight Bare-Handed. The disadvantages of fighting Bare-Handed are high. For details take a look at Unarmed Combat here: http://www.chromatrix.com/html/combat.html#Initiative

So, why did we implement that at all? At the time we designed the game we thought it would be a nice feature to be able to fight Bare-Handed against someone also fighting Bare-Handed in a certain situation. But later on we ran into real trouble to program this: Take away the hero's weapon. -> Don't allow the player to take a weapon in that (short) period of sequences. -> Give him back the weapon afterwards he is usually fighting with. And some more necessarities. The question was not: Hey, aren't we smart enought to program this? It simply came down to the question we were always dealing with and these are the "physical" limitations for the application's size. So: Is the amount of code to bring in for only this feature worth enough? On the other hand there's always the pressure to make the text and playing time of the adventures as large (long) as possible. The answer was: No. Therefore fighting unarmed truly is a relict. :wink:

Kyo hat geschrieben:Does the Shield Fighting ability allow you to fight with a shield (actually use it to strike) or is it like armour use and only lessen the penalties for the use of one?

Shield Fighting I: This ability lets your hero add 2 more points to her Parry Value when using a shield (this stacks with the bonus gained by Off-Hand Fighting I, giving a total of 3 points).

Shield Fighting II: This Ability represents advanced training with the shield, and provides your hero with an additional 2 points to add to her PAV when using a shield in combat (again, this bonus stack with those gained from Off-Hand Fighting I and Shield Fighting I, for a total of 5 points).

This is only of effect if your hero actually uses a shield! If he has a shield in his equipment then simply switch between: Use it / Don't use it in the specific menu and watch the values of Attack and Parry. Go for the best values there. They also depend on armor and weapon. There is no "Best" solution. It's your decision. But once going into the fight, only the actual Attack and Parry values are used. Shields don't give you any additional special moves whatever.

Kyo hat geschrieben:For that matter is there any such place I can find a detailed description of how to use my talent prowesses like cooking, lore, treat wounds, paint, and tailor?

You'll find a description how talents and tests are handled here: http://www.chromatrix.com/html/talents.html It is always the author of an adventure who decides when a specific talent test fits in a situation. It's never up to the player to say: "Now I wanna use this talent for some proof." You can be sure that every talent you find in the game is used in some way at least at one of the 15 adventures. Not every talent in every adventure! Some talents - particularly the physical talents - are used more often than others. But every talent is useful somewhere. Trust me. :wink:

Kyo hat geschrieben:A lot of these options are very confusing and "as far as I have been able to find" completely undocumented.

Go for http://www.chromatrix.com/html/tde-mobile.html and all its sub-sites. There's a lot of interesting stuff there.

Kyo hat geschrieben:I am playing "The Caliphs Daughter", I also have played, "Secret of the Cyclops", my phone is the Motorola Razr V3.

Keep on. We hope you'll have fun.
CM_Admin
Site Admin

Beitragvon Kyo » Freitag 24. November 2006, 21:00

Thank you very much for such a prompt and very detailed reply.

Your answers brought up one more question. Can all skills be used untrained (zero skill points) or are there some that must have at least one to use?
Kyo

Beitragvon CM_Admin » Freitag 24. November 2006, 22:13

Talents are also used untrained. The only effect is: You have no bonus points to equal dices which show more than the refered ability of your hero.

But even if you have trained a talent and say, you have 3 points for sneaking, there may be a Sneak-Test +5. In this case you have to pass the test with -2.
CM_Admin
Site Admin

Zurück zu TDE-Mobile: Technical and Content Issues